Now you can experience a polar expedition like no other
A very first in the cruising world. PONANT announced the order for the first electric hybrid cruise icebreaker, with LNG propulsion, the Ponant Icebreaker, therefore reaffirming its place as the world leader in luxury polar expeditions.
PONANT, leader in luxury polar expeditions and the only French cruise line, confirmed the order for the first electric hybrid icebreaker, propelled by Liquefied Natural Gas.
Following a public tender led by Barry Rogliano Salles and in which top European shipyards took part, PONANT decided to appoint VARD (VARD Holding Limited), FINCANTIERI’s Norwegian subsidiary, to build the exceptional unit. Delivery is scheduled for 2021.
PONANT is working with the best international experts to execute this world first.
- Aker Arctic, an internationally renowned company specialising in the development and design of the most demanding icebreaking vessels
- Wärtsilä for the best Dual Fuel diesel engines on the market
- GTT, the supplier of an innovative storage technology for LNG Fuel
- ABB, a supplier of the most powerful Azipod® Units on the market and electric hybrid structures
And the ship design was created in joint co-operation by Stirling Design International and Aker Arctic.
With just 135 staterooms and luxury service, the innovative vessel is « Clean Ship » certified and environmentally friendly. The ship will take passengers to never explored polar destinations, such as the true geographic North Pole (90 degrees North Latitude), the Weddell Sea, the Ross Sea and Peter I Island.
Polar expedition info
For more information or to view the upcoming cruise schedule visit Ponant
PONANT invites you to discover – or rediscover – incredible destinations on board its five French-flagged ships
Follow the trail of the polar bear during an Expedition Cruise in the Ar ctic. PONANT invites you to set sail aboard Le Boréal for a memorable 13-day cruise around Spitsbergen, one of the jewels of the northern hemisphere
The main island of the Norwegian Svalbard archipelago, Spitsbergen offers magical landscapes, a blend of ancient glaciers, jagged mountains and spectacular fjords. In summer, the sun shines day and night, to better showcase the vastness of the ice and the animals that inhabit the region – whales, arctic foxes, walruses, but also polar bears, the undisputed kings of the ice.
Setting sail from the cosmopolitan village of Longyearbyen, your journey will begin with an exploration of the wild and unspoiled east coast of Spitsbergen.
You will then reach the Bellsund fjord, whose lush green valleys will not fail to delight you.
This will be followed by a visit to Ny Alesund, the former mining town that is today home to a scientific base, a museum and the most northerly post office in the world.
Further to the north you will find the majestic Monaco glacier, an impenetrable wall with blue-tinged highlights. You may even encounter a polar bear – a moving experience that you will never forget – before charting a course south to conclude your journey.
- “Cruise – Overall-Small Cruise Ship for Cruise Lines” Awarded at the 2017 MAGELLAN AWARDS GOLD
- “Cruise – Overall-Eco-Friendly Green Cruise Ship for Cruise Lines” Awarded at the 2017 MAGELLAN AWARDS GOLD
- “Cruise – Expeditions-Itinerary for Cruise Lines” Awarded at the 2017 MAGELLAN AWARDS SILVER
- “Best Cruise Company” Awarded at the “Victoires du Tourisme” awards in 2015, 2016 and 2017
- “N. 1 position in both the Luxury Expedition category and the Tall Ships categories” Awarded at the “Signature Luxury Travel & Style Cruise Awards”in 2017
For a full list of Ponant Cruise awards visit here.