The best African luxury wildlife island combo
“Ideal for bush and beach lovers or honeymoons, this luxury wildlife island combo combines snorkelling along untouched island reefs with luxury big five game drives.” ~ andBeyond
Combine sea and safari on a journey from some of South Africa’s best known game reserves to the golden sands of Mozambique’s Bazaruto Archipelago. Track the Big Five in the Sabi Sand Game Reserve or &Beyond Ngala Private Game Reserve, both of which share unfenced borders with the famous Kruger National Park, allowing them to benefit from the high wildlife numbers in this renowned park.
Ngala Private Game Reserve is home to all of the ‘Big Five’, but is particularly known for its elephant, buffalo and rhino, as well as its packs of African wild dog. Although leopard and cheetah are also often encountered.
After your wildlife adventure, pamper yourself with some rest and relaxation in the tropical climate and sunshine of &Beyond Benguerra Island. Explore the warm waters and marvel at the marine life of the island’s coral reefs on scuba diving expeditions, enjoy the thrill of deep sea fishing or simply explore the magical setting and soaring dunes of Benguerra.
With its balmy climate, vast miles of untouched beaches and colourful Portuguese and Arabic heritage, Mozambique is fast emerging as Africa’s hottest new holiday destination. Add to this the warm and friendly nature of the people, as well as the delectable cuisine, based heavily on abundant seafood and fiery spices, and you have a truly irresistible and authentic African beach experience.
Scattered off the sun-drenched coast, the country’s many secluded islands are famed for their pristine coral reefs, waters filled with marine life and luxury accommodation. From fishing and diving to simply enjoying an indulgent holiday in the sun, the wide range of activities available includes perennial favourites such as dhow cruises and castaway picnics.
While its tropical beach delights are well on their way to establishing Mozambique as a sought-after holiday destination in its own right, the country is also easily accessed from South Africa and forms the ideal combination with a Big Five safari in the famous Kruger National Park.
Known for their responsible travel ethics, andBeyond also involves guests in the lives of the local villagers, whose development they support both through providing employment opportunities and via their social development partner, the Africa Foundation. Guests are invited to sample a taste of authentic local life on a two-hour journey that takes in the varying environments of the island, from lakes to dunes, before exploring the village. The tour spends some time at the village school and church, allowing plenty of opportunities to interact with the local people and find out more about the community projects that are run on the island. Guided by a member of the local community, the drive provides a real commentary on the lives of the island people.
The Southern African Wildlife College, based on a portion of the Ngala land, provides training in natural resource management and conservation practices to underprivileged youths from throughout Southern Africa.
The luxury wildlife island combo tour creates the ideal balance between a wildlife adventure in South Africa and the ultimate relaxation on the calm shores of Mozambique. To find out more contact andBeyond
- DAY 1, 2 & 3 / NGALA PRIVATE GAME RESERVE
- On arrival at OR Tambo International Airport you will be warmly welcomed by an &Beyond Representative, who will assist you onto a shuttle to the Federal Air Hangar, where you will board a light aircraft flight to &Beyond Ngala Private Game Reserve. Located on the boundary of the world-renowned Kruger National Park, &Beyond Ngala Private Game Reserve is well known for high densities of elephant, buffalo and rhino, as well as for African wild dogs. Ngala was the first private game reserve to be incorporated into the Kruger National Park and it has exclusive traversing rights on almost 15 000 hectares (37 000 acres) of some of the richest wildlife land on the African continent. With more open bush than the nearby Sabi Sand Game Reserve, Ngala guarantees exclusive game viewing opportunities guided by expertly trained &Beyond rangers. Spend three nights at &Beyond Ngala Tented Camp. Accommodation is in an air conditioned cottage with an ensuite bathroom (shower, twin hand basins, w.c. and a bath) and an intimate veranda. Your stay includes three meals daily, soft drinks, house wines, local brand spirits and beers, teas and coffees, emergency medical evacuation insurance, laundry and daily lodge activities.
- DAY 4, 5 & 6 / BENGUERRA ISLAND
- After a mouth-watering breakfast, you will be driven to Skukuza Airport or Kruger Mpumalanga International Airport, where you will board a flight to Vilanculos International Airport. On arrival at Vilanculos International Airport, you will be assisted onto a helicopter flight to &Beyond Benguerra Island. The second largest island in the Bazaruto Archipelago, Benguerra offers exceptional marine life and an abundance of island adventures. Characterised by its towering sand dunes, inland lakes and idyllic beaches, Benguerra was declared a National Park in 1971. It is home to over 140 bird species and the pristine waters surrounding the island, as well as the entire archipelago, are home to the rare dugong and one of the most pristine coral reefs in the world. Guests visiting the island can awaken to the sounds of fishermen trading their daily catch from their traditional sailing dhows and embark on a series of adventures, including dhow cruises, diving, snorkelling and exhilarating catch-and-release deep-sea fishing. Warm and intimate, with a distinct East African feel, &Beyond Benguerra Island is a tropical paradise tucked into a lush indigenous forest and looking out onto a picturesque crescent of sandy beach. Set among swaying palm trees, ten casitas and two cabanas peep out directly onto ocean vistas, while a spacious Family Suite ensures privacy and exclusivity. Whether staying in a cabana, a casita or the family suite, the lodge’s colourful beach bar, sheltered by swaying palm trees, is the perfect setting to admire the African sunset while sipping an exotic cocktail. Spend three nights in a casita at &Beyond Benguerra Island. Your stay includes the services of a Mozambican butler, a non-alcoholic welcome cocktail on arrival, all meals, all drinks (including soft drinks, house wines, local brand spirits and beers and bottled water), snacks (including private beach dinners and private meals on decks), teas, coffees and standard included activities. Adventures include sea kayaking, sunset dhow cruise, scheduled snorkelling trip, castaway picnic, island expedition and local village tour.
- DAY 7 / DEPARTURE
- After a mouth-watering breakfast, we wave a fond farewell as you board a helicopter for your flight back to Vilanculos International Airport, where you will catch a scheduled flight to OR Tambo International Airport.
Tracy Burrows103 Posts
If there is one thing that I have learnt, it is the more I see, the more there is to see! My name is Tracy Burrows and I am the managing editor of Out There Global, a community driven travel magazine platform for cost effective, luxury, unusual and extraordinary but mostly immersive travel ideas around the globe. From Jan 2014 - Dec 2016 I managed the LatestSightings.com blog (a United Nations World Summit Award Winner: Culture & Tourism 2016 & National Geographic partner). I was also consulting editor at MOZambique Magazine, and contributor at Sawubona Magazine (South African Airways inflight magazine). Prior to my career I obtained a tourism marketing degree, and graduated from a 2 year 'Hospitality Management in Development Program' in California. Following this I acquired a journalism diploma and since it's been all about travel and writing! And my nourishment comes from all those who have impacted me: family; friends; and strangers alike. So thank you for inspiring me, and for joining our journey!