This is the new ship design for an Egypt river cruise
“The timeless Nile River flows through shifting sands like a silken ribbon. Along its banks, one of the world’s greatest civilizations emerged, pharaohs changed the course of history and a magnificent trio of pyramids rose in the desert.” ~ Viking River Cruises
All-Suite Viking Ra Will Begin Sailing New Nile River Cruisetour in Spring 2018
Viking River Cruises has announced details of the newest addition to its river fleet, Viking Ra™ . Recently acquired, the vessel has been stripped down to the steel to undergo a complete renovation that will reflect Viking’s award-winning Scandinavian design. Tailored to an intimate sailing experience for just 48 guests, Viking Ra™ will sail the Nile River on a new Egypt cruisetour, Pharaohs & Pyramids, that will launch in March 2018.
“Egypt is one of the most intriguing countries in the world, and it remains a top destination for many of our guests,” said Torstein Hagen, Chairman of Viking Cruises. “For two decades, we have led the industry in river cruising with our innovative ship design and itineraries that bring our guests closer to the cultures of the world. We are committed to Egypt, and with the introduction of Viking Ra, we look forward to providing our award-winning service to our guests on the Nile – and to their experiencing this culturally rich region in the Viking way.”
During the 12-day Pharaohs & Pyramids itinerary, guests will experience Egypt’s cultural treasures in seven destinations. The cruise tour begins with a three-night stay at a first-class hotel in Cairo, where guests can visit iconic sites such as the Great Pyramids of Giza, the new Grand Egyptian Museum and the Mosque of Muhammad Ali. Guests will then fly to Luxor, where they will visit the Temples of Luxor and Karnak before boarding Viking Ra™ for a 8-day roundtrip cruise on the Nile River to Aswan, featuring Privileged Access to the tomb of Nefertari in the Valley of the Queens and excursions to the Temple of Khnum in Esna, the Dendera Temple complex in Qena, and a visit to a colorful Nubian village where guests can experience a traditional elementary school. Finally, the journey concludes with a flight back to Cairo for a final night in the historic city.
Viking Ra Designed for Destination Cruising
The newly rebuilt, all-suite Viking Ra will boast 24 staterooms that will exclusively accommodate 48 Viking guests for an intimate cruising experience. Named in honour the Egyptian sun god Ra, Viking Ra’s name also pays homage to the great Norwegian explorer Thor Heyerdahl and his papyrus-reed boats Ra and Ra II. Designed by experienced nautical architects and engineers, including the same interior design team responsible for the award-winning fleet of Viking Longships®, Viking Ra will be a state-of-the art ship with the clean, elegant Scandinavian design for which Viking is known blended with local influences like traditional geometric Arabic patterns and terrazzo floors. Viking Ra will help guests immerse themselves in local surroundings and will feature:
- All Suite Staterooms: The ship features three suite stateroom categories, each of 291 sq. ft., including 20 Veranda Suites with a full-size veranda in the living room and a French balcony in the bedroom. All staterooms include premium amenities such as a hotel-style bed, luxury linens, sofa, private bathroom with shower, air conditioning and flat-screen TVs.
- Pool and Two Jacuzzis: In addition to two Jacuzzis, the ship features a pool at the back of the ship, allowing guests to swim surrounded by their destination. A sanctuary from the sun is provided by sculptural “sail-shades” inspired by local dhow ships and intricate mashrabiya-influenced screens surrounding the Pool and Sun Deck.
- Spa: Specifically designed for Viking Ra, guests can relax in The Spa offering massage services and a variety of treatments.
- Onboard Dining, Bar and Lounge: Dine in The Restaurant, which serves three full meals and a selection of regional and international fare, then head to the clinker-built bar to share a cocktail with friends. During the day, guests can enjoy The Lounge to relax, take in the views through floor-to-ceiling glass doors or hear an informative discussion on the next destination.
- Enriching Entertainment: Connecting guests to their destinations through authentic experiences is central to Viking’s “thinking person’s cruise.” Instead of casinos and water slides, guests are offered Viking’s Culture Curriculum®, which includes a Nubian evening event on board and a local experience riding a camel. Additionally, Viking’s expert Egyptologist leads all excursions, sharing the archaeological and historical significance of the sites.
Egypt river cruise details
Viking Cruises offers culturally-enriching, destination-focused river and ocean cruises for travellers curious about the world. Visit here for more info regarding this Egypt river Cruise
You may also like:
Tracy Burrows87 Posts
If there is one thing that I have learnt, it is the more I see, the more there is to see! My name is Tracy Burrows and I am the managing editor of Out There Global, a community driven travel platform for both cost effective and luxury travel ideas around the world. From Jan 2014 - Dec 2016 I managed the LatestSightings.com blog (a United Nations World Summit Award Winner: Culture & Tourism 2016 & National Geographic partner). I was also consulting editor at MOZambique Magazine, and contributor at Sawubona. Prior to my career I obtained a tourism marketing degree, and graduated from a 2 year 'Hospitality Management in Development Program' in California. Following this I acquired a journalism diploma and since it's been all about travel and writing! And my nourishment from all those who have impacted me: family; friends; and strangers alike. Thank you for joining our journey!